My idea of “friendships” has grossly evolved within the past couple of years.
The various levels of friendship in a young professional’s life *please note that friendships in each of these levels can overlap, fluctuate, skip a level, etc:
– the Email/Chat/Facebook/Text friendship, where sadly most of contact and catch-up time is spent with ALL friends
– the Happy Hour and Go Out Once a Month to Eat/Drink friendship
– the Call Every Now and Then friendship, especially with friends who are far away
– the Call for Help friendship, as in the friend that calls only when in need for assistance
– the friendships in different circles, such as the College friends, the High School friends (if that even exists), and the Co-Worker friends
– the Networking friends you schmooze with every so often at events, functions, etc.
– the Lover/Partner who also happens to be your Best Friend. In most cases, this is largely because he/she is the sole person who is consistently around.
– the friends of your Lover/Partner. You may end up seeing their friends more than your actual friends.
What used to be a simple thing like “friendship” has grown so complicated now in the life of the 20something. What other friendships would you add to the list?